[SLE] exact audio copy in linux
Gabor Istvan
2005-07-27 20:05:06 UTC
Dear list members:

Does anyone know of a program for linux that can be used to=20
make an exact copy of an audio CD? Something that works=20
similarly to windows exactaudiocopy (EAC).
I tried to use cdparanoia - and it makes perfect rips -, but I=20
don't know what tool I can use to write the wav out to a CD=20
since I don't have a cue file with the index positions.

TIA,
IG

=0A=0A_____________________________________________________________________=
__=0A[freemail] extra 1GB-os postafi=F3kkal, =D6nnek m=E1r van? http://free=
mail.hu=0A=0A
Charles philip Chan
2005-07-27 20:14:18 UTC
Post by Gabor Istvan
Does anyone know of a program for linux that can be used to
make an exact copy of an audio CD? Something that works
similarly to windows exactaudiocopy (EAC).
k3b ==> "Tools" ==> "CD" ==> "Copy CD"

Charles
--
"Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at The
Labs."
(By Dennis Ritchie)
Gabor Istvan
2005-07-27 20:33:30 UTC
Does anyone know of a program for linux that can be used=20
to=20
make an exact copy of an audio CD? Something that=20
works=20
similarly to windows exactaudiocopy (EAC).
=20
k3b =3D=3D> "Tools" =3D=3D> "CD" =3D=3D> "Copy CD"
=20
Charles
Thanks, but I meant something SIMILAR to EAC in windows.
I think kb3 uses cdrecord or cdrdao for ripping CDs and they=20
don't read the audio tracks as securely as cdparanoia or EAC.
Furthermore you can not set the reading offset with them that=20
also may be necessary for making exact copies.
Charles philip Chan
2005-07-27 21:16:12 UTC
Post by Gabor Istvan
Thanks, but I meant something SIMILAR to EAC in windows.
I think kb3 uses cdrecord or cdrdao for ripping CDs and they
don't read the audio tracks as securely as cdparanoia or EAC.
k3b does use libcdparanoia when compiled on a system with cdparanoia
installed. See the "Optionally" section here:

http://www.k3b.org/
Post by Gabor Istvan
Furthermore you can not set the reading offset with them that
also may be necessary for making exact copies.
IG
This is true. However, you might not need that when you select the "clone
copy" mode in the burning dialog.

Charles
--
"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?"
(By Matt Welsh)
BandiPat
2005-07-28 01:41:12 UTC
Post by Gabor Istvan
Post by Charles philip Chan
Post by Gabor Istvan
similarly to windows exactaudiocopy (EAC).
k3b ==> "Tools" ==> "CD" ==> "Copy CD"
Charles
Thanks, but I meant something SIMILAR to EAC in windows.
I think kb3 uses cdrecord or cdrdao for ripping CDs and they
don't read the audio tracks as securely as cdparanoia or EAC.
Furthermore you can not set the reading offset with them that
also may be necessary for making exact copies.
IG
-------------

I've used k3b to make several audio cd copies with great success. The
copies even turn out to be quite playable on cd devices not designed to
use cdr discs. That's how close to the original they turn out. I have
also recently made several audio cds from mp3 and ogg files. Again k3b
worked flawlessly and created especially nice audio cds for both my
player (reads mp3, cdr, cdrw, etc) and the wife's player, standard car
cd player factory installed.

If you are in love with EAC, stick with EAC, unless you are trying to
rid yourself of Windows since moving to Linux.

regards,
Lee
--
--- KMail v1.8 --- SuSE Linux Pro v9.2 ---
Registered Linux User #225206
Graham Smith
2005-07-27 20:20:14 UTC
Post by Gabor Istvan
Does anyone know of a program for linux that can be used to
make an exact copy of an audio CD? Something that works
similarly to windows exactaudiocopy (EAC).
I tried to use cdparanoia - and it makes perfect rips -, but I
don't know what tool I can use to write the wav out to a CD
since I don't have a cue file with the index positions.
Xcdroast maybe what you are after.
--
Regards,

Graham Smith
Graham Smith
2005-07-28 06:16:41 UTC
Post by Graham Smith
Post by Gabor Istvan
Does anyone know of a program for linux that can be used to
make an exact copy of an audio CD? Something that works
similarly to windows exactaudiocopy (EAC).
I tried to use cdparanoia - and it makes perfect rips -, but I
don't know what tool I can use to write the wav out to a CD
since I don't have a cue file with the index positions.
Xcdroast maybe what you are after.
I should have been more specific, xcdroast will do direct copies of music cds,
I have used it in the past. It is very easy to use, especially if you have
two cd drives, one a reader the other a writer.

If you are using 9.3 it should be on the SuSE DVD otherwise you can download
it from SuSE.
--
Regards,

Graham Smith
James Knott
2005-07-27 21:12:33 UTC
Post by Gabor Istvan
Does anyone know of a program for linux that can be used to
make an exact copy of an audio CD? Something that works
similarly to windows exactaudiocopy (EAC).
I tried to use cdparanoia - and it makes perfect rips -, but I
don't know what tool I can use to write the wav out to a CD
since I don't have a cue file with the index positions.
Did you try Copy CD in K3b?
jdd sur free
2005-07-28 05:40:21 UTC
Post by Gabor Istvan
Does anyone know of a program for linux that can be used to
make an exact copy of an audio CD? Something that works
similarly to windows exactaudiocopy (EAC).
I tried to use cdparanoia - and it makes perfect rips -, but I
don't know what tool I can use to write the wav out to a CD
since I don't have a cue file with the index positions.
I don't think "an exact copy" has any meaning for an audio
disk, audio data is not that kind of.

onbe can failrly well adjust the kind of ripping with
cdparanoia, cdda2wav cdrdao.

many of then come from the cdrecord team and on that
developper site one can find explanations of what is an
audio disk and the rest.

however, if you mean copying against the news protection
shemes, I don't think it's the right place

jdd
--
pour m'écrire, aller sur:
http://www.dodin.net
Adam Vazquez Kb2Jpd
2005-07-28 15:01:04 UTC
however, if you mean copying against the news protection shemes, I
don't think it's the right place
jdd
As in what, Like Sony's last attempt? The one in which you use a marker
to defeat the copy protection?
Please, you don't need Linux for that.
jdd sur free
2005-07-28 15:39:54 UTC
Post by Adam Vazquez Kb2Jpd
however, if you mean copying against the news protection shemes, I
don't think it's the right place
jdd
As in what, Like Sony's last attempt? The one in which you use a marker
to defeat the copy protection?
Please, you don't need Linux for that.
I don't know, I don't buy cd's :-). I was answering a
question...
jdd
--
pour m'écrire, aller sur:
http://www.dodin.net
Carl William Spitzer IV
2005-07-29 17:01:22 UTC
Post by jdd sur free
Post by Gabor Istvan
Does anyone know of a program for linux that can be used to
make an exact copy of an audio CD? Something that works
similarly to windows exactaudiocopy (EAC).
I tried to use cdparanoia - and it makes perfect rips -, but I
don't know what tool I can use to write the wav out to a CD
since I don't have a cue file with the index positions.
I don't think "an exact copy" has any meaning for an audio
disk, audio data is not that kind of.
But it works. i did it with my Beethoven collection for use in the car
CD.
--
___ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _
| | | | [__ | | |
Graham Smith
2005-07-28 12:08:29 UTC
This URL may be of some interest.

K3b 0.12 New Features
K3b 0.12 includes some cool new feature of which some are quite hidden. So
here I try to unravel the secret powers that lie within K3b 0.12.

http://www.k3b.org/support/k3b-0.12-new-features
--
Regards,

Graham Smith