[13.1] exclude/ban module from initrd
mararm
2014-10-13 16:58:46 UTC
Hi Felix,
It should work by using blacklist foo ..in /etc/modprobe.d
Sort of makes sense, but where? modprobe.d/ is a directory.
in 99-local..
blacklist sata_sil
1-added that to 99-local.conf
2-# zypper ref
3-# zypper al kernel*
4-# zypper up
5-# zypper rl kernel*
6-# zypper in kernel-desktop-3.12.28
7-reboot
8-# lsinitrd /boot/initrd
lib/modules/3.12.28-3-desktop/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_sil.ko
9-eSATA HD on PCI card SIL shows up as sda, internal on ICH4 as sdb,sdc
Did you have a look at
/etc/sysconfig/kernel ?

I did not read the doc, but mine has variables
INITRD_MODULES
NO_KMS_IN_INITRD
DOMU_INITRD_MODULES
MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT

which may have some influence?

Regards
mararm
Cristian Rodríguez
2014-10-13 17:27:58 UTC
Post by mararm
I did not read the doc, but mine has variables
INITRD_MODULES
NO_KMS_IN_INITRD
DOMU_INITRD_MODULES
MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT
which may have some influence?
Nope. none of those vars will achieve what Felix wants.
Felix Miata
2014-10-13 19:03:54 UTC
Post by mararm
It should work by using blacklist foo ..in /etc/modprobe.d
Sort of makes sense, but where? modprobe.d/ is a directory.
in 99-local..
blacklist sata_sil
1-added that to 99-local.conf
2-# zypper ref
3-# zypper al kernel*
4-# zypper up
5-# zypper rl kernel*
6-# zypper in kernel-desktop-3.12.28
7-reboot
8-# lsinitrd /boot/initrd
lib/modules/3.12.28-3-desktop/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_sil.ko
9-eSATA HD on PCI card SIL shows up as sda, internal on ICH4 as sdb,sdc
Did you have a look at
/etc/sysconfig/kernel ?
I did, but...
Post by mararm
I did not read the doc, but mine has variables
INITRD_MODULES
NO_KMS_IN_INITRD
DOMU_INITRD_MODULES
MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT
which may have some influence?
That's where I expected to find the seat of control, but other than
NO_KMS_IN_INITRD I had no luck finding any info about excluding anything. 4
variables are the only ones its poorly formatted man page discusses.
MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT is not one of the 4.

On revisiting this, INITRD_MODULES does include the one I don't want loaded,
and I have to wonder how it got there. Installation did not occur with any
device connected to that accessory PCI controller, so it makes no sense to me
that it's listed ahead of the onboard ata controller module, on top of no
sense being there at all. I also wonder whether this is yet another /etc/
config file that needs to be set immutable to prevent updates from regressing
it.

For now at least, I've rebuilt initrd for latest kernel, and sata_sil has
been excluded. That creates a new problem: sata_sil is not loaded even when a
device is attached that needs it. Adding it to MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT doesn't
help. So at this point, I'm only marginally better off than when I started
the thread. Either I have sata_sil loaded in inappropriate order (before
ata_piix instead of after), or when I want it loaded I have to load it manually.

In 13.2 I can't be sure whether /etc/dracut.conf or /etc/sysconfig/kernel is
controlling WRT keeping sata_sil out of the initrd, but it is being omitted,
and the internal HDs are always sda and sdb, regardless whether an external
is connected and powered up or not at boot time; IOW, 13.2 is behaving as I
expect, while 13.1, the future Evergreen, is not.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/