[SLE] Still having problems with Kernel update
Clayton
2006-09-02 06:14:31 UTC
I've posted about this before... but didn't get any useful answers...
so I'm trying again.

I'm using SUSE 10.1 (KDE 3.5.4) on an AMD X2 3800+ CPU, keyboard is a
Cherry Linux keyboard. My current kernel is 2.6.16.13-4-smp
(according to uname -r). Everything works fine.

The Software Updater tells me that there is a new 2.6.16.21 smp kernel
that I should update to. If I update to this latest 2.6.16.21 smp
kernel (the only change being applied is the Kernel, the source, and
kmp), my computer becomes unusable.

Basically after upgrading to this new kernel, my keyboard is in
hyper-repeat mode. I cannot type anything because I get dozens of
each letter I press. This only happens in KDE, and seems to be
independant of KDE version - I have the same exact problem when I have
the stock SUSE 10.1 KDE installed. If I manage to switch to a
different terminal I can log in and work as normal from the CLI. I do
not have Gnome installed so I cannot test to see if the same keyboard
repeat happens there.

If I roll back the kernel, source, and kmp to 2.6.16.13-4-smp...
everything returns to normal and I can use my system without any high
speed repeat on the keypresses.

If I check the logs there is absolutely nothing out of place.

I can live without updating my kernel, but.... it is very annoying
that one build of the smp kernel works perfectly, and the next is
totally unusable. Last time I posted I got a lot of "works for me"
replies. Great.. nice... but it doesn't work for me.... and I don't
know how to diagnose the problem... ir even what to say if I raise it
as a bug.

Does anyone have any ideas or clues as to what is going wrong here?
Or what I can do to maybe try to pinpoint the problem so I can raise
it as a bug.. or fix the problem (if it's a problem on my system and
not a bug)?? Is there any extra info I can provide to help diagnose
the problem?

C.
John Andersen
2006-09-02 06:53:14 UTC
Post by Clayton
Does anyone have any ideas or clues as to what is going wrong here?
Or what I can do to maybe try to pinpoint the problem so I can raise
it as a bug.. or fix the problem (if it's a problem on my system and
not a bug)??  Is there any extra info I can provide to help diagnose
the problem?
More info might help...

Have you tried other keyboards? (I know it sucks to go give up what you
are used to). Is that a ps2 keyboard or a USB?
If you ssh into the machine from another station does it behave ok?

How old is the Bios? In my machine, I had to force it to use acpi because
the bios was just before the 2000 cut-off date. I needed to use
"acpi=force" on the boot prompt in order to get all of the features
of this machine to work.
In the past, I've had problems with usb performance when acpi was not
invoked, which is why I asked if the kb was usb.

Oh, and Yes, It works for me.... I know that doesn't help, but I have
no problem with the SMP kernel, and I've used the SMP versions since SuSE
7.3. Sorry, had to mention it.
--
_____________________________________
John Andersen
Clayton
2006-09-02 07:43:42 UTC
Post by John Andersen
More info might help...
Have you tried other keyboards? (I know it sucks to go give up what you
are used to). Is that a ps2 keyboard or a USB?
If you ssh into the machine from another station does it behave ok?
I've tried a really old Acer keyboard (PS/2) and got the exact same
results. My (new-ish) Cherry Linux Keybaord is USB, but plugging it
into the PS/2 socket (with an adapter) makes no difference.

I seriously doubt it's actually the keyboard itself that's the
problem. As I mentioned, if I switch out of KDE to a text terminal
and log in there... the CLI works fine... which is how I manage to
roll back the kernel to the previous version (stock kernel from the
SUSE 10.1 DVD). At CLI, I have no problems with the new kernel and
any keyboard (PS/2 or USB).
Post by John Andersen
How old is the Bios?
Brand new.... this is a new AMD X2 in a new ASRock motherboard.... I
have the latest BIOS that is available for my motherboard. Checked
that :-)
Post by John Andersen
In the past, I've had problems with usb performance when acpi was not
invoked, which is why I asked if the kb was usb.
USB works perfect as far as I can tell. All other USB devices
(including mouse) work fine.

C.
John Andersen
2006-09-02 08:04:54 UTC
Post by John Andersen
In the past, I've had problems with usb performance when acpi was not
invoked, which is why I asked if the kb was usb.
USB works perfect as far as I can tell. All other USB devices
(including mouse) work fine.
C.
Ok, so its only under kde, right?

Two possible things to try:
In text mode, create a new user with yast and log in as that user
and see if it works ok.

If so, copy that users ~/.kde/share/config/kcminputrc to your account
(adjusting ownership as necessary) and then try to log into your
misbehaving account.

Or

Just edit the ~/.kde/share/config/kcminputrc in text mode and make
it have reasonable values. The critical part in there is
something like this:

[Keyboard]
ClickVolume=9
KeyboardRepeating=true
NumLock=0
RepeatDelay=660
RepeatRate=24.3
--
_____________________________________
John Andersen
Clayton
2006-09-02 09:05:04 UTC
Post by John Andersen
Ok, so its only under kde, right?
Correct... I cannot test it under Gnome since I don't have Gnome
installed. Or any other WM for that matter.
Post by John Andersen
In text mode, create a new user with yast and log in as that user
and see if it works ok.
Ok, did that (after updating to the new kernel again), and new user
has the exact same issues... works fine from CLI, but in KDE, I cannot
type anything due to the keyboard repeat.
Post by John Andersen
Just edit the ~/.kde/share/config/kcminputrc in text mode and make
it have reasonable values. The critical part in there is
[Keyboard]
ClickVolume=9
KeyboardRepeating=true
NumLock=0
RepeatDelay=660
RepeatRate=24.3
My kcminputrc is virtually the same:

[Keyboard]
ClickVolume=0
KeyboardRepeating=true
NumLock=0
RepeatDelay=500
RepeatRate=25

If I turn OFF keyboard repeat in KDE (Control Center), then the
keyboard repeats is toned down to something manageable... but even
with keyboard repeat turned off, I still get repeated letters... in
any user.. new, old... Instead of dozens of each letter I get 5 or
6... and I can backspace enough to actually type things...

It might be worth noting that this happens on a clean install as well
- as in format and reinstall... and do the updates including the new
SMP kernel.. and the keybaord repeat goes out of control. And as
always, if I roll back to the kernel on the DVD, the keyboard repeat
problem goes away.

There has to be something in that kernel that is not playing well with
my computer... I haven't tried the kernels from "suser-jengelh"
yet.... I prefer to use the stock kernels.

C.
John Andersen
2006-09-02 10:13:27 UTC
Post by Clayton
It might be worth noting that this happens on a clean install as well
- as in format and reinstall... and do the updates including the new
SMP kernel.. and the keybaord repeat goes out of control. And as
always, if I roll back to the kernel on the DVD, the keyboard repeat
problem goes away.
There has to be something in that kernel that is not playing well with
my computer... I haven't tried the kernels from "suser-jengelh"
yet.... I prefer to use the stock kernels.
You might look into "man kbdrate" to see if there is any help there.

This seems to be a known bug, and there is some chatter about
it here:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/66976-keyboard-repeat-rate.html
and here: (suggesting 10.2 kernel):
http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=41661&pid=185490&st=0&#entry185490

By the way, I'm using 2.6.16.21-0.13-smp.
--
_____________________________________
John Andersen
John Andersen
2006-09-02 10:20:09 UTC
Post by Clayton
Post by John Andersen
Ok, so its only under kde, right?
Correct... I cannot test it under Gnome since I don't have Gnome
installed. Or any other WM for that matter.
You might manually add this option under the keyboard section
of your x configuration:
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "kbd"
Identifier "Keyboard[0]"
Option "AutoRepeat" "27 250"

The configuration file is now called /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
--
_____________________________________
John Andersen
Patrick Shanahan
2006-09-02 11:38:01 UTC
Post by John Andersen
[Keyboard]
ClickVolume=0
KeyboardRepeating=true
NumLock=0
RepeatDelay=500
RepeatRate=25
Try changing the RepeatDely=500 to 700 or so. I noticed touchiness
with the repeat rate on my x86_64 X2 4200+ also and this solved my
problems.
Robert Lewis
2006-09-02 15:15:09 UTC
You have some very good high quality responses here in my view.

I am using the same kernel (the latest) and a Dual 64-bit AMD 2.4-GHZ
AMD Opteron
and see no problems. However, if I had problem like this I would
remotely access my
machine with "ssh -X node" where node is the IP of the machine in
question and use
the other keyboard to see if a behavior difference was observed.

It appears though that your keyboard is not well supported by this
kernel from what I
am reading here.