Nvidia Geforce GT 730M and Bumblebee
Gustav Degreef
2014-10-14 08:57:14 UTC
Hello,

I am having trouble configuring X in a new Lenovo Thinkpad. Video Card
is Nvidia GeForce GT 730M. The nouveau driver worked out of the box (OS
13.1, 64bit, KDE), but there were frequent crashes with Firefox.

I installed the x11-video-nvidiaG02 package (from the Suse 13.1 Nvidia
repos) and dependencies without success and then the G03 packages
without success. I did blacklist nouveau in
/etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist file and edited /etc/sysconfig
system-kernel section as indicated in the SDB.

The 730M chip is not listed in the SDB Nvidia-drivers page.

Googling for my card I found several Ubuntu references to bumblebee
being necessary to get the 730M card to work.

The opensuse SBD nvidia-bumblebee page seems to indicate that bumblebee
is for power management issues only. It indicates that they have been
tested on 13.1
This page:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:Bumblebee-Project:nVidia:310.40

Shows my card as supported by the bumblebee packages. It also mentions
an installer that will download the drivers from one of two nvidia sites.

However:

Index of /repositories/home:/Bumblebee-Project:/nVidia:/310.40

Lists only 12.3, factory, SLE_11(sp1 and sp2), tumbleweed directories -
no 13.1.

Is bumblebee the way to go? Which are the correct packages? If so,
will the nvidia driver be updated automatically each time the kernel is
updated (if the proper repo is enabled)? Any pointers would be much
appreciated. Gustav
Florian Gleixner
2014-10-14 12:50:25 UTC
Uninstall nvidia*G02 and install all packages with name nvidia*G03

You need bumblebee only if you want to switch from/to CPU graphics
(IntelGPU) to Nvidia. It saves power, but has some limitations. I never
got it to work - tried a year ago.
appreciated. Gustav
Gustav Degreef
2014-10-14 17:14:11 UTC
Can you check if there is a /etc/X11/xorg.conf ? If yes, rename it
(xorg.conf.old) . Try to start X11 with startx as root,
Yes, the conf file was there. Renamed it, startx as root, and problem
solved!
lCheck if nvidia module loads with
modprobe nvidia
Module nvidia previously had not worked. I had previously done -
modprobe nvidiafb
Sometimes nvidia rpms fail silently. Some scripts fail and the kernel
zypper in -f nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop
Check if you have the right kernel module installed. If uname -r says
"desktop", you need the nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop, if it says "default",
you need nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default ...
Post the solution to the opensuse mailinglist!
Sorry, mistakenly hit the "reply" instead of "reply to list"
Thanks very much for your help! Gustav.
Post by Gustav Degreef
Hello,
I am having trouble configuring X in a new Lenovo Thinkpad. Video Card
is Nvidia GeForce GT 730M. The nouveau driver worked out of the box (OS
13.1, 64bit, KDE)
OK, I tried the ..G03 packages again, but still no X. I also added
modeset.nouveau=0 to the boot parameters (puls blacklisting nouveau and
editing /etc/sysconfig).
libdrm_nouveau2
libdrm_nouveau2-32bit
nvdock
nvidia-computeG03 v. 340.46-30.1
nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop v. 340.46_k3.11.6._4-30.1
nvidia-glG03 v. 340.46-30.1
nvidia-uum-gfxG03-kmp-desktop v. 340.46_k3.11.6._4-30.1
x11-video-nvidiaG03 v. 304.121-38.1
x86-video-nv
xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau
I know I still have the nouveau rpm's, but I have not unistalled them
until I get the proprietary drivers working.
Do I have the right rpm's?
ERROR: The control display is undefined; pleae run nvidia-settings
--help for usage information.
But that gives me pages of info I don't know what to do with. Any
ideas? Thanks, Gustav.
Francesco Teodori
2014-10-14 13:20:03 UTC
Hi Gustav,
if you want to use Bumblebee, add this repo
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Bumblebee/openSUSE_13.1/
I regularly use bumblebee on my Asus N53S laptop. I use intel card and
activate NVIDIA one only when needed.
Regards,
Francesco
Post by Gustav Degreef
[...]
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and
inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.