Backup Options?
Lew Wolfgang
2014-10-13 17:46:56 UTC
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any suggestions for automated backups
of heterogeneous desktops these days? I've been using rdiff-backup
for many years for Linux clients, but now have a requirement
to add Windows 7 to the mix. Years ago I used Samba's smbclient
to copy shared Windows XP directories to a central Linux box under
cron control, but I'm not sure that's the best way for incremental
backups and it might not even work any more.

Any suggestions/ideas? Bacula?

Thanks,
Lew
Christopher Myers
2014-10-13 17:58:49 UTC
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Lew Wolfgang 10/13/14 12:47 PM >>>
Hi Folks,
Does anyone have any suggestions for automated backups
of heterogeneous desktops these days? I've been using rdiff-backup
for many years for Linux clients, but now have a requirement
to add Windows 7 to the mix. Years ago I used Samba's smbclient
to copy shared Windows XP directories to a central Linux box under
cron control, but I'm not sure that's the best way for incremental
backups and it might not even work any more.
Any suggestions/ideas? Bacula?
Thanks,
Lew
Personally, at home I use ownCloud on the workstations, and rsync (via rsnapshot) on the server :)
Lew Wolfgang
2014-10-13 18:31:04 UTC
Post by Christopher Myers
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Lew Wolfgang 10/13/14 12:47 PM >>>
Hi Folks,
Does anyone have any suggestions for automated backups
of heterogeneous desktops these days? I've been using rdiff-backup
for many years for Linux clients, but now have a requirement
to add Windows 7 to the mix. Years ago I used Samba's smbclient
to copy shared Windows XP directories to a central Linux box under
cron control, but I'm not sure that's the best way for incremental
backups and it might not even work any more.
Any suggestions/ideas? Bacula?
Thanks,
Lew
Personally, at home I use ownCloud on the workstations, and rsync (via rsnapshot) on the server :)
ownCloud looks interesting, but I don't think it's appropriate for this
requirement. I need something that's locally hosted and that will
back up without the Windows users having to do anything. They
can't be trusted to do anything right, after all! :-) I can't establish
a web server either, (don't ask) and so users would request file
retrieval when needed.

Further requirements include backing up perhaps fifty Win-7 desktops
on a daily, incremental basis. I wouldn't need to back up system areas,
just c:\Users and below. The target backup repo would be a large RAID-6
array with on-line hotswap spares. The rdiff-backup of about twenty Linux
desktops is working fine and I don't mind keeping this going forward. But
if some package can do it better I'm not adverse to change.

BTW, all hosts are behind a single firewall, so I don't have to worry about
bridging domains.

Regards,
Lew
Vojtěch Zeisek
2014-10-13 18:43:04 UTC
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Post by Christopher Myers
Post by Lew Wolfgang
[...]
I'm not sure if I understand correctly. OwnCloud has a very easy and capable
desktop syncing client for any system and it just runs in the background. The
files can be accessed using Windows network drive. I don't know if ownCloud
can run without web server, but I think this is the only problem. Otherwise I
think it'd meet Your requirements.
Or launch FTP server and use some Windows client running in background and
just sending changes... What else do You need? :-)
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Further requirements include backing up perhaps fifty Win-7 desktops
on a daily, incremental basis. I wouldn't need to back up system areas,
just c:\Users and below. The target backup repo would be a large RAID-6
array with on-line hotswap spares. The rdiff-backup of about twenty Linux
desktops is working fine and I don't mind keeping this going forward. But
if some package can do it better I'm not adverse to change.
No problem here, all proposed solutions allow to set what to backup.
--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

http://www.opensuse.org/
http://trapa.cz/
Lew Wolfgang
2014-10-13 18:57:28 UTC
Post by Lew Wolfgang
requirement. I need something that's locally hosted and that will
back up without the Windows users having to do anything. They
can't be trusted to do anything right, after all!:-) I can't establish
a web server either, (don't ask) and so users would request file
retrieval when needed.
I'm not sure if I understand correctly. OwnCloud has a very easy and capable
desktop syncing client for any system and it just runs in the background. The
files can be accessed using Windows network drive. I don't know if ownCloud
can run without web server, but I think this is the only problem. Otherwise I
think it'd meet Your requirements.
Or launch FTP server and use some Windows client running in background and
just sending changes... What else do You need?:-)
The OwnCloud thing requires purchasing their server package if
you need local-only operation. It would be nice to do everything
with open-source software. The server looks expensive and might
be overkill too. Do you have any cost data?

Hm... an ftp server might be something to think about. It would
have to be anonymous with a write-only incoming directory, but
this is easy to set up and is secure to the best of my knowledge.
But the Windows client might be the issue.

Regards,
Lew
Christopher Myers
2014-10-13 19:08:36 UTC
Oh, try owncloud.org - it's the free OSS version of their enterprise software (and hosted on OBS too :D)

I run it on my oS 12.2 box at home :)
Vojtěch Zeisek
2014-10-13 19:12:29 UTC
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Post by Lew Wolfgang
[...]
Sorry? Server as well as client are fully open-source and You can install it
on Your own server. The software is even build in OBS. So the price for
software is zero. Everything You need for Your situation is FOSS. Of course,
You can rent it, but it is not the point now. You don't need enterprise
edition. I don't have my own install, I use that provided by Czech Academy of
Science http://www.cesnet.cz/services/owncloud/?lang=en and as one of admins
from that department told me, they didn't pay, neither. ;-)
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Hm... an ftp server might be something to think about. It would
have to be anonymous with a write-only incoming directory, but
this is easy to set up and is secure to the best of my knowledge.
But the Windows client might be the issue.
It is easy solution, I think. I'm not able to advise the best Windows client,
but there are plenty of them, including with advanced possibilities. I'd
require some testing, probably, but it shouldn't be difficult.
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Regards,
Lew

http://trapa.cz/
Lew Wolfgang
2014-10-13 21:20:11 UTC
Post by Vojtěch Zeisek
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Hm... an ftp server might be something to think about. It would
have to be anonymous with a write-only incoming directory, but
this is easy to set up and is secure to the best of my knowledge.
But the Windows client might be the issue.
It is easy solution, I think. I'm not able to advise the best Windows client,
but there are plenty of them, including with advanced possibilities. I'd
require some testing, probably, but it shouldn't be difficult.
Thanks for the pointers, Vojtěch. I didn't see the free link. The web requiremet
might be an issue in this particular environment, but I might be able to use
self-signed certs on a non-standard port. It would be an interesting project.

Thanks,
Lew
John Andersen
2014-10-13 18:22:27 UTC
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Hi Folks,
Does anyone have any suggestions for automated backups
of heterogeneous desktops these days? I've been using rdiff-backup
for many years for Linux clients, but now have a requirement
to add Windows 7 to the mix. Years ago I used Samba's smbclient
to copy shared Windows XP directories to a central Linux box under
cron control, but I'm not sure that's the best way for incremental
backups and it might not even work any more.
Any suggestions/ideas? Bacula?
Thanks,
Lew
I use the cronjob method for workstations (just the users home directory) and
also on the servers to backup selected directories to a NAS. WDMyCloudMirror in my case.
I've had a license for BRU since the Pleistocene with which I take scheduled backups
to another NAS of large data structures, and occasionally complete server images.
The compression means I can stack many of these on a remote drive.

I use synctoy (free from microsoft) to backup critical Windows stuff to either the same NAS
or to to dedicated external USB drives in some cases. It has a "contribute mode" which
does not sync deletions.

As well, I have certain critical directories from the servers and workstations running
SpiderOak (again in contribute mode) via a paid account.
Vojtěch Zeisek
2014-10-13 18:28:15 UTC
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Hi Folks,
Does anyone have any suggestions for automated backups
of heterogeneous desktops these days? I've been using rdiff-backup
for many years for Linux clients, but now have a requirement
to add Windows 7 to the mix. Years ago I used Samba's smbclient
to copy shared Windows XP directories to a central Linux box under
cron control, but I'm not sure that's the best way for incremental
backups and it might not even work any more.
Any suggestions/ideas? Bacula?
Bacula seems great. OwnCloud is perfect. Easy way is FTP and some intelligent
Windows client. Or rsync over SAMBA. Rsync from Cygwin. BackupPC is also
widely recommended.
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Thanks,
Lew
Vojtěch

http://trapa.cz/
Greg Freemyer
2014-10-13 20:14:45 UTC
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Hi Folks,
Does anyone have any suggestions for automated backups
of heterogeneous desktops these days? I've been using rdiff-backup
for many years for Linux clients, but now have a requirement
to add Windows 7 to the mix. Years ago I used Samba's smbclient
to copy shared Windows XP directories to a central Linux box under
cron control, but I'm not sure that's the best way for incremental
backups and it might not even work any more.
Any suggestions/ideas? Bacula?
Thanks,
Lew
Lew,

If you like rdiff-backup, why not just continue to use it. They have
Windows clients as well as Linux. Sounds like you already have the
server side in hand.

Greg
Lew Wolfgang
2014-10-13 21:22:47 UTC
Post by Greg Freemyer
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Hi Folks,
Does anyone have any suggestions for automated backups
of heterogeneous desktops these days? I've been using rdiff-backup
for many years for Linux clients, but now have a requirement
to add Windows 7 to the mix. Years ago I used Samba's smbclient
to copy shared Windows XP directories to a central Linux box under
cron control, but I'm not sure that's the best way for incremental
backups and it might not even work any more.
Any suggestions/ideas? Bacula?
Thanks,
Lew
Lew,
If you like rdiff-backup, why not just continue to use it. They have
Windows clients as well as Linux. Sounds like you already have the
server side in hand.
Greg
Well, that would require cygwin and possibly an ssh server on the
Windows end. I might not be able to swing that in this environment,
but it's certainly worth looking at!

Thanks,
Lew
Greg Freemyer
2014-10-13 21:51:52 UTC
Post by Lew Wolfgang
Post by Greg Freemyer
Post by Lew Wolfgang
[...]
If you've never done it, you can really cut down the size of a cygwin
install for a task specific need.

The way I do it is on a R&D PC running windows install cygwin and
verify you have rdiff-backup working inside a cygwin shell.

Now fire up a standard windows command prompt and create a temp folder
(C:\my_rdiff_junk).

Copy the rdiff-backup exe in there and try to run it from the dos
command line. It will fail, but give you an error message about what
DLL is missing. Find that in cygwin and copy it to your temp folder.

ie. cp c:\cygwin\bin\{missing-dll} c:\my_rdiff_junk

Repeat until you have all the DLLs you need to let rdiff-backup run.
Last time I did something like this it was about 5 DLLs I think. You
can then zip up your temp folder and send it out to your install base.
Windows also has scheduled tasks that should let you invoke
rdiff-backup on each PC.

Greg

Greg