Lag Problem
Robert Rea
2014-10-14 18:08:53 UTC
I am seeing periods of lag, usually one to two seconds, but up to ten seconds.
This makes loading pages into Firefox very slow and difficult. where would you
suggest I look for causes, and what tools to use? I am unfamiliar with this
kinds of applications.
--
Bob Rea
mailto:***@stsams.org

America, it was a wonderful country
until they took it private
and turned it into a theme park of itself
Karl Sinn
2014-10-14 18:15:16 UTC
Hello,

the first thing you could do is to have a terminal open and you check
which process need a lot of processing power with top when the problem
appears.
Karl
John Andersen
2014-10-14 18:45:58 UTC
Post by Robert Rea
I am seeing periods of lag, usually one to two seconds, but up to ten seconds.
This makes loading pages into Firefox very slow and difficult. where would you
suggest I look for causes, and what tools to use? I am unfamiliar with this
kinds of applications.
If these ONLY occur ins Firefox, clear your cache.
If you occasionally see them elsewhere, and nothing show up in top, maybe a disk
is getting ready to go out:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/using-smartctl-to-get-smart-status-information-on-your-hard-drives/
Florian Gleixner
2014-10-14 20:36:36 UTC
Post by Robert Rea
I am seeing periods of lag, usually one to two seconds, but up to ten seconds.
This makes loading pages into Firefox very slow and difficult. where would you
suggest I look for causes, and what tools to use? I am unfamiliar with this
kinds of applications.
In Firefox, hit CTRL-Shift-q, then Click the Clock, start browsing, and
see, which parts of the webpage is slow.
You can click on the bars to see what takes long:
dns/connect/sending/waiting/receiving.

dns and sending shold be close to 0. connect and waiting depends on the
webserver, receiving on the object size and your connection speed.