13.1 Tbird 31.1.0 - Multiple Crashes Since Update Yesterday - Where to see crash reports?
David C. Rankin
2014-09-25 23:30:43 UTC
All,

Where can I see what is causing Thunderbird to crash. I had no problems with
24.7 on 13.1, now tbird 31.1 has cratered twice in the past 15 minutes. The
crash reports are:

bp-6005ca7d-fd82-4249-9814-798322140925.txt
bp-51874d1e-5b8f-4c83-bc05-05bf62140925.txt

How do I stop tbird from crashing? Do I need to downgrade back to 24.7?
--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
David C. Rankin
2014-09-26 00:18:03 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
All,
Where can I see what is causing Thunderbird to crash. I had no problems with
24.7 on 13.1, now tbird 31.1 has cratered twice in the past 15 minutes. The
bp-6005ca7d-fd82-4249-9814-798322140925.txt
bp-51874d1e-5b8f-4c83-bc05-05bf62140925.txt
How do I stop tbird from crashing? Do I need to downgrade back to 24.7?
Found it:

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/6005ca7d-fd82-4249-9814-798322140925

Downgraded to 24.7 in the interim.
--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Ruben Safir
2014-09-26 00:24:17 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
Post by David C. Rankin
All,
Where can I see what is causing Thunderbird to crash. I had no problems with
24.7 on 13.1, now tbird 31.1 has cratered twice in the past 15 minutes. The
bp-6005ca7d-fd82-4249-9814-798322140925.txt
bp-51874d1e-5b8f-4c83-bc05-05bf62140925.txt
How do I stop tbird from crashing? Do I need to downgrade back to 24.7?
It has been begging of late to download an updated version and when you
do, it can't find the servers. it has just been behaving weirdly.

It might be best to just uninstall the suse packages and grab the
thunderbird and firefox packages from Mozilla. i did this on one
machine and it stabilized. Firefox has also been crashing.

When you build the new packages though, make sure to get the libraries
in the right place on the system. It you just use it in default mode,
everything ends up in a local directory under you ~/

Ruben
http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

David C. Rankin
2014-09-26 01:02:02 UTC
Post by Ruben Safir
It has been begging of late to download an updated version and when you
do, it can't find the servers. it has just been behaving weirdly.
It might be best to just uninstall the suse packages and grab the
thunderbird and firefox packages from Mozilla. i did this on one
machine and it stabilized. Firefox has also been crashing.
When you build the new packages though, make sure to get the libraries
in the right place on the system. It you just use it in default mode,
everything ends up in a local directory under you ~/
Ruben
Thanks Ruben,

It's really 6-to-one 1/2-dozen-to-another. If I were using my old faithful
11.4 that had been customized, patched and tweaked for 3 years, I would say the
Mozilla version may have generic benefit to the install. Here, I have a vanilla
13.1 install and in that case, the openSuSE builds should be fine. openSuSE
delayed the 31.1.0 for because they were having problems getting it to build on
13.1 -- so I suspect there are some generic problems that linger in 31.1.0 that
openSuSE may need to take another look at. I had 24.7 up 24/7 (no pun intended)
for over 2-weeks before updating last night without issues. I ran thunderbird
31.1.0 for less than 20 minutes before it scattered.
--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
David C. Rankin
2014-09-26 01:04:58 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
Post by David C. Rankin
All,
Where can I see what is causing Thunderbird to crash. I had no problems with
24.7 on 13.1, now tbird 31.1 has cratered twice in the past 15 minutes. The
bp-6005ca7d-fd82-4249-9814-798322140925.txt
bp-51874d1e-5b8f-4c83-bc05-05bf62140925.txt
How do I stop tbird from crashing? Do I need to downgrade back to 24.7?
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/6005ca7d-fd82-4249-9814-798322140925
Downgraded to 24.7 in the interim.
Wolfgang, (you get two copes :)

If you get a chance, look at these 2 crash-reports. I've looked at them and
they are Greek. It basically says every library in the system crashed from what
I can tell. I know you're swamped, so just put this at the bottom of the list.
--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Ruben Safir
2014-09-26 01:57:40 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
Post by David C. Rankin
Post by David C. Rankin
All,
I'm sitting here, actually, and for fun, trying tocompile it from
source. I get the distict feeling though, FWIW, that this might be
another systemd problem because the error on the mozillabinaries seems
to be dbus libraries, eventhough they are on the file system just
looking at you 8(

I'll see if I can compile. Its been a long time since I compiled
anything from Mozilla but it took a long time just for the tarball to
decompress. I'm looking through my rollerdex to see if I still have
contacts with the Mozilla team with Paul left them.. sigh

Ruben Safir
2014-09-26 02:07:03 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
Post by David C. Rankin
Post by David C. Rankin
All,
Where can I see what is causing Thunderbird to crash. I had no problems with
24.7 on 13.1, now tbird 31.1 has cratered twice in the past 15 minutes. The
See here is the problem:

checking MOZ_DBUS_LIBS... -ldbus-1
checking for dbus-glib-1 >= 0.60... Package dbus-glib-1 was not found in
the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory
containing `dbus-glib-1.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'dbus-glib-1' found
configure: error: Library requirements (dbus-glib-1 >= 0.60) not met;
consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your
libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

Now you have TWO monolithic packages duking it out to see who can make a
great mess of the system

Or maybe I'm wrong. The linker ldconf knows it is there

Wolfgang Rosenauer
2014-09-26 06:42:06 UTC
Hi,
Post by David C. Rankin
Post by David C. Rankin
Post by David C. Rankin
All,
Where can I see what is causing Thunderbird to crash. I had no problems with
24.7 on 13.1, now tbird 31.1 has cratered twice in the past 15 minutes. The
bp-6005ca7d-fd82-4249-9814-798322140925.txt
bp-51874d1e-5b8f-4c83-bc05-05bf62140925.txt
How do I stop tbird from crashing? Do I need to downgrade back to 24.7?
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/6005ca7d-fd82-4249-9814-798322140925
Downgraded to 24.7 in the interim.
Wolfgang, (you get two copes :)
If you get a chance, look at these 2 crash-reports. I've looked at
them and they are Greek. It basically says every library in the system
crashed from what I can tell. I know you're swamped, so just put this at
the bottom of the list.
Upstream Thunderbird also sees a bigger amount of crashes with TB 31.1
but the reasons are not identified yet.
Unfortunately our debugsymbol extraction automatism in RPM makes the
mozilla internal crashreporter pretty much useless as we do not have
decoded crashdumps :-( (A long open issue related to whatever I don't
really understand)
So if Thunderbird is crashing regularly for someone who can reproduce
it, you could try to follow
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Bugreport_Mozilla
The same approach is supposed to work for Thunderbird.
If you get decoded stacktraces with gdb please open bugs at bnc and
attach them. I'll look at them.

Wolfgang
David C. Rankin
2014-09-26 07:25:53 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Rosenauer
Upstream Thunderbird also sees a bigger amount of crashes with TB 31.1
but the reasons are not identified yet.
Unfortunately our debugsymbol extraction automatism in RPM makes the
mozilla internal crashreporter pretty much useless as we do not have
decoded crashdumps :-( (A long open issue related to whatever I don't
really understand)
So if Thunderbird is crashing regularly for someone who can reproduce
it, you could try to follow
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Bugreport_Mozilla
The same approach is supposed to work for Thunderbird.
If you get decoded stacktraces with gdb please open bugs at bnc and
attach them. I'll look at them.
Wolfgang
Thank you Wolfgang,

Glad I just wasn't missing something easy in the crash-reports :) I'll look
at the -debug packages needed to get a meaningful gdb backtrace and if it isn't
too bad I'll try running tb in gdb.
--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
jdd
2014-09-26 06:07:21 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
All,
Where can I see what is causing Thunderbird to crash. I had no
problems with 24.7 on 13.1, now tbird 31.1 has cratered twice in the
bp-6005ca7d-fd82-4249-9814-798322140925.txt
bp-51874d1e-5b8f-4c83-bc05-05bf62140925.txt
How do I stop tbird from crashing? Do I need to downgrade back to 24.7?
I had th crashing continuously for some weeks now, and only openSUSE th,
because I can run the mozilla downloaded th without problem.

Today th seems to work for me, who knows

but you ca, still go to mozilla.org and dl thunderbird (no install
needed, only unarchive)

jdd
jdd
2014-09-26 06:25:48 UTC
Le 26/09/2014 01:30, David C. Rankin a écrit :

I had th crashing continuously for some weeks now, and only openSUSE th,
because I can run the mozilla downloaded th without problem.

Today th seems to work for me, who knows

alas not!

after some ,time, crash, even when iddle (may be on collecting mails),
I'm back to mozilla version.

notice that I even moved my .thunderbird and rebuils my
accounts/archives (I'm in imap) without better result

jdd
Johannes Weberhofer
2014-09-26 06:31:26 UTC
I had th crashing continuously for some weeks now, and only openSUSE th, because I can run the mozilla downloaded th without problem.
Today th seems to work for me, who knows
alas not!
after some ,time, crash, even when iddle (may be on collecting mails), I'm back to mozilla version.
notice that I even moved my .thunderbird and rebuils my accounts/archives (I'm in imap) without better result
jdd
I'm running Thunderbird on several openSUSE 13.1 machines; each has several mail accounts, mostly IMAP, installed and I don't remember thunderbird ever crashed. Do you have some special extensions installed which are causing problems?
--
Johannes Weberhofer
Weberhofer GmbH, Austria, Vienna
jdd
2014-09-26 07:07:46 UTC
Post by Johannes Weberhofer
I'm running Thunderbird on several openSUSE 13.1 machines; each has
several mail accounts, mostly IMAP, installed and I don't remember
thunderbird ever crashed. Do you have some special extensions installed
which are causing problems?
in the process of removing the old .thunderbird, I also removed all the
extensions with no better result

and the original th do not crash, so this is something special to
openSUSE implementation, but what??

jdd
David C. Rankin
2014-09-26 07:22:21 UTC
Post by jdd
in the process of removing the old .thunderbird, I also removed all the
extensions with no better result
and the original th do not crash, so this is something special to openSUSE
implementation, but what??
jdd
jdd,

I downgraded to 24.7 and absolutely NO problems so far

(I always set keeppackages=1 just for this reason)
--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
jdd
2014-09-26 09:54:52 UTC
Post by David C. Rankin
Post by jdd
in the process of removing the old .thunderbird, I also removed all the
extensions with no better result
and the original th do not crash, so this is something special to openSUSE
implementation, but what??
jdd
jdd,
I downgraded to 24.7 and absolutely NO problems so far
(I always set keeppackages=1 just for this reason)
yes, I also tried this, but them you have to ban th to not have to stop
upgrading and you won't be anymore upgraded at all.

with my system, I try th each day in hope any update will solve the problem

jdd
David C. Rankin
2014-09-26 07:19:59 UTC
Post by Johannes Weberhofer
I'm running Thunderbird on several openSUSE 13.1 machines; each has several mail
accounts, mostly IMAP, installed and I don't remember thunderbird ever crashed.
Do you have some special extensions installed which are causing problems?
Johannes,

The only ones listed in addons are:

***@moztw.org 6.0.20110915
***@addons.mozilla.org 1.1
en-***@dictionaries.addons.mozilla.org 7.0.1
Attachment Extractor 1.3.5.1
Folder Flags 1,2,6
Folder Pane Tools 0.6.1

No issues listed when it did its compatibility check.
--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.