Boot-Loaders : LUBL
ellanios82
2014-10-20 14:35:05 UTC
Hello List ,

- with much refinement : does not GRUB2 sometimes
leave one bewildered in a grubby-mess

after such brill recent successes, do we not qualify for the
blessings of LUBL : Lennart's Universal Boot Loader?

optimistically
ellan
Cristian Rodríguez
2014-10-20 15:03:59 UTC
Post by ellanios82
Hello List ,
- with much refinement : does not GRUB2 sometimes
leave one bewildered in a grubby-mess
after such brill recent successes, do we not qualify for the blessings
of LUBL : Lennart's Universal Boot Loader?
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/gummiboot/

However writting a different bootloader or extending it for non-uefi
systems is kinda pointless, in that case you have to continue using grub2.
Ken Schneider - openSUSE
2014-10-20 17:38:07 UTC
Post by Cristian Rodríguez
Post by ellanios82
Hello List ,
- with much refinement : does not GRUB2 sometimes
leave one bewildered in a grubby-mess
after such brill recent successes, do we not qualify for the blessings
of LUBL : Lennart's Universal Boot Loader?
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/gummiboot/
However writting a different bootloader or extending it for non-uefi
systems is kinda pointless, in that case you have to continue using grub2.
Isn't it amazing how quickly older non-UEFI systems are forgotten about?
Is linux getting to be like MS and telling everyone that in order to
keep using linux you have to go out and buy new hardware!
--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998
Peter
2014-10-20 17:42:36 UTC
Post by Ken Schneider - openSUSE
Post by Cristian Rodríguez
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/gummiboot/
However writting a different bootloader or extending it for non-uefi
systems is kinda pointless, in that case you have to continue using grub2.
Isn't it amazing how quickly older non-UEFI systems are forgotten about?
Is linux getting to be like MS and telling everyone that in order to
keep using linux you have to go out and buy new hardware!
It's also alarming how many people are currently waffling on about
dropping 32-bit support as if it's something from the space age (the
space age being something primarily from the 1960s/70s).
Cristian Rodríguez
2014-10-20 18:20:12 UTC
Post by Ken Schneider - openSUSE
Isn't it amazing how quickly older non-UEFI systems are forgotten about?
They are not forgotten, you have grub1, grub2, lilo and other less
common bootloaders to work with, they are still maintained.
Post by Ken Schneider - openSUSE
Is linux getting to be like MS and telling everyone that in order to
keep using linux you have to go out and buy new hardware!
No, what is pointless and unproductive is to write *completely new*
bootloaders for BIOS on PC systems since what hardware manufacturers are
selling since a few years is UEFI! . But I see no problem in improving
existing ones to suit people's needs.
ellanios82
2014-10-20 17:56:27 UTC
Post by Cristian Rodríguez