Bash Vulnerability - stupid question
Daniel Bauer
2014-09-26 08:23:27 UTC

OS 12.3

Do I have to keep an eye on updates of bash and readline or will they
come in automatically with the updater-applet when ready?

(As I haven’t noticed any related updates till yesterday I updated them
with Yast, but as I read there is another problem yet to be solved and
I'd like to know if I can simply forget it and leave it to the updater...)

Thanks,

Daniel
google+: https://plus.google.com/109534388657020287386
Marcus Meissner
2014-09-26 09:42:03 UTC
Post by Daniel Bauer
Hi,
OS 12.3
Do I have to keep an eye on updates of bash and readline or will
they come in automatically with the updater-applet when ready?
(As I haven’t noticed any related updates till yesterday I updated
them with Yast, but as I read there is another problem yet to be
solved and I'd like to know if I can simply forget it and leave it
to the updater...)
Just run "zypper patch" and install if there is any stuff to install.

Check with

rpm -q --changelog bash|head

if the patch is in if you are worried.

Ciao, Marcus
Darryl Gregorash
2014-09-26 15:45:36 UTC
Post by Marcus Meissner
Post by Daniel Bauer
Hi,
OS 12.3
Do I have to keep an eye on updates of bash and readline or will
they come in automatically with the updater-applet when ready?
(As I haven’t noticed any related updates till yesterday I updated
them with Yast, but as I read there is another problem yet to be
solved and I'd like to know if I can simply forget it and leave it
to the updater...)
Just run "zypper patch" and install if there is any stuff to install.
Check with
rpm -q --changelog bash|head
if the patch is in if you are worried.
Ciao, Marcus
Linux makers released patches to protect against attacks on Wednesday,
though security researchers uncovered flaws in those updates,
prompting No. 1 Linux maker Red Hat Inc to advise customers that the
patch was "incomplete."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/shellshock-aka-bash-computer-bug-already-exploited-by-hackers-1.2777514

Can you confirm whether or not the patched version on the update repo is
"complete"?
Marcus Meissner
2014-09-26 15:54:03 UTC
Post by Darryl Gregorash
Post by Marcus Meissner
Post by Daniel Bauer
[...]
it similar incomplete as redhats.

For openSUSE I will be releasing incremental updates shortly.

Ciao, Marcus